Applications are now being accepted for the Kevin Freeman Travel Grant.
The grant, established in 1994 to honor the memory of Kevin Freeman and
awarded for the first time in 1997, supports attendance of music
librarians new to the field to the Music Library Association's annual
meeting. Recipients receive gratis conference registration and a cash
award of up to $750 for travel costs (transportation and accommodations
at the convention hotel at half of the double occupancy rate*). At least
one grant will be awarded to a first-time attendee, if applicable.
Applicants must be members of the Music Library Association and in one
of the following groups:
● in the first three years of their professional career,
● a graduate student in library school (by the time of the conference,
15-19 February 2012) aspiring to become a music librarian, OR
● a recent graduate (within one year of degree) of a graduate program in
librarianship seeking a professional position as a music librarian
Previous applicants who still qualify are welcome to reapply.
Applicants must submit the following in .pdf by October 3, 2011:
● A letter of application which includes:
● The reasons for attending the MLA Annual Conference and why you are a
good candidate for this grant
● A justification of financial need
● A budget for travel costs to attend the MLA Annual Conference
● Information about any other grants, matching funds, institutional
support you may also receive to cover costs to attend the MLA Annual
● The number of times you have attended the national MLA meeting
● A current vita
● Two letters of support directly mailed by recommenders (.pdf or email)
Please email application and supporting materials (.pdf) to the Chair of
the Freeman Travel Grant Committee:
Sarah Dorsey email@example.com
Please mark the subject line: Freeman Travel Grant Application.
Grant recipients will be notified by November 1, 2011 and announced at the MLA 2012 Annual Meeting in Dallas, Texas.
For questions about the award, please contact the Chair of the Freeman Travel Grant Committee at the above email address.
*Room rates are estimated to be $165/night for double occupancy, plus 15% City and State tax.