An annual award for the best review published in Notes.
2014 Call for Nominations
- Lance W. Brunner. Review of Rebecca Maloy. Inside the Offertory: Aspects of Chronology and Transmission. Notes 68:2 (Dec. 2011), 332-334.
- Pieter Mannaerts. Review of Charles M. Atkinson. The Critical Nexus: Tone-system, Mode, and Notation in Early Medieval Music. Notes 66:3 (March 2010), 549-551.
- Kofi Agawu, Review of A Theory of Musical Narrative. Notes, 66:2 (2009), 275-277.
- Daniel F. Boomhower. [Reviews of Bach B-minor Mass editions]. Notes 65:2 (Dec. 2008), 385-89.
- Louis Niebur, "The BBC Radiophonic Workshop: Recent Reissues of British Electronic Music from 1955–1996." (Review Essay) Notes 63:4 (June 2007), 912–23.
- John Wagstaff, review of Katharine Ellis's Interpreting the Musical Past: Early Music in Nineteenth-Century France (Oxford University Press, 2005). Notes 63: 2 (December 2006): 355–58.
- Ruth A. Solie, review of George Grove, Music and Victorian Culture, ed. Michael Musgrave (New York: Palgrave, 2003), Notes 61 (2005):732–34.
- Mary Sue Morrow, review of Daniel Heartz, Music in European Capitals: The Galant Style, 1720-1780, in Notes 60:4 (June 2004): 958–61.
- Ann Morrison Spinney, review of Writing American Indian Music: Historic Transcriptions, Notations, and Arrangements, edited by Victoria Lindsay Levine (Recent Researches in American Music, 44. Music of the United States of America, 11), (Madison: A-R Editions, 2002) in Notes 59 (March 2003): 624–26.
- Tamara Levitz, review of Untwisting the Serpent: Modernism in Music, Literature, and Other Arts, by Daniel Albright; and Revealing Masks: Exotic Influences and Ritualized Performance in Modernist Musical Theatre, by W. Anthony Sheppard, Notes 58 (March 2002): 556–60.
- Mark Germer, review of The New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians, 2d ed., edited by Stanley Sadie and John Tyrrell (London: Macmillan; New York: Grove's Dictionaries, 2001) in Notes 58 (December 2001): 320–25.
- Richard Kramer, review of "Skizzen by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, vorgelegt von Ulrich Konrad" (Neue Ausgabe sämtliche Werke, Ser. X: Supplement; Werkgruppe 30; Studien, Skizzen, Entwürfe, Fragmente, Varia, Bd. 3); and "Concerto for Horn and Orchestra in E-flat Major, K. 370b + 371, by Wolfgang Amadé Mozart: A Facsimile Reconstruction of the Autograph Sources." (London: Boosey & Hawkes, 1997) in Notes 57:1 (2000): 188-93.
- Philip Brett, review of "Benjamin Britten, The Beggar's Opera, Opus 43, ed. David Matthews; Who Are These Children?; King Arthur: Suite for Orchestra, adapted by Paul Hindmarsh (Music for Orchestra)" Notes 55:3 (1999): 735-39.
- Andrew Dell'Antonio, review of Deconstructive Variations: Music and Reason in Western Society, by Rose Rosengard Subotnik, Notes 54 (1998): 894-97.
- Lynne Rogers, review of Stravinsky and the Russian Traditions: A Biography of the Works through Mavra, by Richard Taruskin, Notes 54 (December 1997): 438-41.
- Sanford Levinson and J. M. Balkin, review ofText and Act: Essays on Music in Performance, by Richard Taruskin, Notes 53 (December 1996): 419-23.
- John Kmetz, review of Katalog der Musikdrucke des Johannes Petreius in Nürnberg, by Mariko Teramoto and Armin Brinzing, Notes 51 (June 1995): 1291-94.
- Stephen Miles, review of Wireless Imagination: Sound, Radio, and the Avant-Garde, edited by Douglas Kahn and Gregory Whitehead, Notes 51 (September 1994): 65-68.
- Malcolm Hamrick Brown, review of The New Shostakovich, by Ian MacDonald, Notes 49 (March 1993): 956-61.
- Susan T. Sommer, review of Baker's Biographical Dictionary of Musicians, 8th ed., revised by Nicolas Slonimsky, Notes 49 (September 1992): 67-70.
- Karl Kroeger, review of American Sacred Music Imprints, 1698-1810: A Bibliography, by Allen Perdue Britton and Irving Lowens, and completed by Richard Crawford, Notes 48 (September 1991): 54-58.
- Garrett Bowles, "Music Notation Software for the IBM-PC," Notes 46 (March 1990): 660-79.
- William Kraft, review of Histoire du Soldat, by Igor Stravinsky, ed. by John Carewe & James Blades, Notes 46 (September 1989): 212-16.
- Joshua Rifkin, review of two facsimile publications of Bach's B-Minor Mass, Notes 44 (June 1988): 787-98.
- George Perle, review of the complete miniature score of Alban Berg's Lulu, ed. by F. Cerha, Notes 43 (June 1987): 915-18.
- Richard Taruskin, review of Editing Early Music, by John Caldwell, Notes 42 (June 1986): 775-79.
- Norma Jean Lamb, review of The Great Song Thesaurus, by Roger Lax and Frederick Smith, Notes 41 (June 1985): 709-11.
- Karl Kroeger, review of Fuging Tunes in the Eighteenth Century, by Nicholas Temperly and Charles G. Manns, Notes 41 (September 1984): 58-61.
- Michael Beckerman, review of The Bartered Bride, by Bedrich Smetana, notes by F. Bartos, Notes 39 (March 1983): 705-7.
- Andrew Frank, various reviews in Notes 38 (1982): 691-93; 930-31.
- Lance W. Brunner, review of The Concord Quartets, by George Rochberg, Notes 38 (December 1981): 423-26.
- Kerry S. Grant, review of The Science of Music in Britain, 1714-1830: A Catalogue of Writings, Lectures, and Inventions, by Jamie Croy Kassler, Notes 37 (September 1980): 43-44.
- David Hamilton, review of Stravinsky in Pictures and Documents, by Vera Stravinsky and Robert Craft, Notes 36 (September 1979): 88-90.
- Jurgen Thym, review of Neue Ausgabe sämtlicher Werke, Ser. IV: Lieder, Band 2, Teil a, by Franz Schubert, Notes 35 (December 1978): 401-3.
- Christopher Rouse, review of ;The Works of Karlheinz Stockhausen, by Robin Maconie, Notes 34 (September 1977): 76-77.
- No Award